Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Karen Hanmer

I am always delighted and amazed to see Karen's sculptural books. Each book is more wonderful than the next - you can see more of her work here.

I have never seen this work of Karen's so I thought I would share it with you.

Karen writes...
The History and Technology series links the creative process of the artist with that of the inventor, explorer or scientist through first person accounts and archival photographs and artifacts. As I researched and developed a series of artists’ books on the history of aviation, I felt a kinship with the Wright Brothers, them in their bicycle shop’s back room and me in my spare bedroom studio, carefully and methodically experimenting, and creating and refining prototypes.

Faster Higher Further First: a sampler of women aviators | 2005 | $250
Pigment inkjet prints, 8 x 2.5 x .5" closed

Removed from dust jacket and fully extended: 8 x 56 x 5", can also be displayed extended into a closed circular shape.

Edition of 50
An accordion format pop-up book with vintage photographs of 14 women aviators from the beginnings of powered flight until the present. Brief text lists the accomplishments of each woman. Subjects set records of altitude, speed, endurance or made other significant contributions to the field, not as women's firsts, but across gender lines.

No comments: